The DeAtley Family Foundation
The DeAtley Family Foundation was established in 2007 by A. Neil and Patricia DeAtley to help the communities that they’ve been a part of since childhood. They felt that supporting those within a community will make the community stronger as a whole. Its mission is to help individuals and organizations in their quest to improve themselves and the lives around them.
Because of the hardships they faced and overcame, Neil and Patricia knew the struggles many people face today. Patricia grew up in a single parent household in a time when that was uncommon. To help her mom make ends meet she took in laundry, babysat and did odd jobs. Neil and Patricia met in school, fell in love and married shortly after graduating high school. In the early years of their marriage times were particularly hard after the untimely passing of Neil’s father, Albert, at the age of 45. Being the third generation to own DeAtley Crushing gave Neil the incentive to push forward. At the time of Neil’s passing in 2017 they had been married for 60 years.
Neil and Patricia established their foundation with four areas of focus; Capital improvement to facilities of organizations that meet significant needs of the community, financial assistance to cancer patients and their support systems, helping abused children, and assistance and guidance to youth, especially “at risk” youth.
It is the intent of The DeAtley Family Foundation to support students as they strive to continue their education and better their future. Each scholarship awarded will be a total of $4,000 per scholastic year. All monies will be divided equally between semesters and submitted directly to the recipient’s school of choice. Scholarships are renewable for up to four (4) academic years.
- Applicants must be a graduating senior at Tumwater High School.
- Applicant must be planning to attend a 2 or 4 year college, or trade school with the intent to obtain a degree or certificate.
- Applicant must have a GPA of 2.8 or better on a scale of 4.0 in the last completed academic year.
- Applicant shows evidence of ambition and a genuine desire to pursue higher education.
- If awarded, applicant will be required to submit additional reporting materials at the end of each academic year for which the scholarship is awarded.
- Applicants must complete a Tumwater Education Foundation Scholarship application, along with the following supplemental information.
- Submit an essay on the following:
- Please explain why you chose this career path. What are you goals, both short term and long term, and ambitions for your life?
- Submit two (2) letters of recommendation with at least one being from person(s) associated with applicant’s area of interest.