A Brief History
In 1987, a group of dedicated Tumwater parents came together to raise funds for student scholarships. The primary fundraising activity at that time was holiday gift wrapping at Capital Mall. Due to decreasing profit margins, the Board adopted a new approach to fundraising.
During 1996/97, the Board reorganized and changed its name to the Tumwater Education Foundation. The Foundation expanded its purpose to provide an “extra measure” of support that contributes to excellence in Tumwater schools. A volunteer Board of Directors oversees the activities of the Foundation.
The Foundation provides scholarship opportunities for students graduating from Tumwater schools. Our Memorial Scholarships honor students, family and community members. The Foundation also provides Classroom Enrichment grants that fund projects or programs that are beyond classroom budgets. Students at all grade levels benefit from these grants which have provided funds to purchase books for accelerated reading programs, materials for math programs, physical education equipment and many other items. Due to limited funding for this program, we are not able to fund all of the requests we receive.
In 2016, the Foundation expanded its scope to include oversight of the Tumwater Principals’ Emergency Fund. This fund will remove common barriers for low-income students, maximizing their potential. The goal is for principals to be able to meet a need quickly. Something as simple as a pair of shoes can boost a student’s confidence, resulting in better attendance and/or academic performance.
How can you help?
- Volunteer to be a member of our Board of Directors. The application can be found on our website. The Board of Directors meets quarterly for approximately 1-1/2 hours.
- Host a fundraiser to benefit one of our scholarships or our Classroom Enrichment fund.
- Financial donations are always welcome. It’s easy to donate to the Foundation.
- Direct donations are always welcome. See the donation form on the reverse side of this informational sheet.
- Tumwater School District employees can donate directly to TEF by payroll deduction.
- State employees can donate via the Combined Fund Drive (Charity 0315809).
- You can link your Fred Meyer rewards card to TEF. Simply log in to www.fredmeyer.com/communityrewards and search for TEF (non-profit #88341). You still retain all of your rewards and fuel points.
Volunteers That Make a Difference!
The Tumwater Education Foundation Board of Directors is a volunteer Board dedicated to helping students fund postsecondary opportunities and helping create a positive learning environment for students in the Tumwater School District. We do this through our scholarship program for graduating seniors and classroom enrichment grants for teachers.
Board members contribute their time and talents to support the Foundation’s activities and their commitment has been instrumental to the success of TEF over the past 30 years. We are dedicated to the Tumwater School District’s staff and students and we have fun too!
If you are interested in volunteering for the Tumwater Education Foundation, please complete this application. A board member will reach out to you to talk about your interests and experiences.