Rick, Jimmy, and Jennifer Memorial Scholarship
Rick Dial, Jimmy Peile, and Jennifer Champion were members of the Black Hills High School Class of 2002. Rick and Jimmy lost their lives in an automobile accident during their senior year. Jennifer Champion lost her life to Ewings Sarcoma Bone Cancer, a type of bone cancer usually associated with teenagers. Jennifer played the flute and had a love of music, as did Rick and Jimmy. This scholarship was established in their honor and will recognize a student from Black Hills High School who best represents Rick, Jimmy, and Jennifer:
- someone who has overcome adversity during their high school career;
- someone who has a strong character;
- someone who is goal oriented; and
- someone with maturity, compassion, and motivation towards success.
- Applicant must be a graduating senior from Black Hills High School.
- Applicant may attend a 4-year, 2-year, technical, or private college.
- There is no minimum GPA requirement.
- Applicant must demonstrate how he/she overcame adversity during high school career.
- Applicant must demonstrate his/her love of music.
- Applicant must demonstrate his/her maturity, strong character, compassion, and motivation towards success.
- Applicants must complete a Tumwater Education Foundation Scholarship application, along with the following supplemental information.
- In 250 words or less answer each of the following:
- Describe a time when you overcame adversity. How did this experience change you as a person?
- Describe your love of music and how you see it being a part of your life in the future.
- How will this scholarship contribute to your life goals through a post-secondary experience?
- How do you define success?