Laura Lohmeyer Memorial Scholarship
The Laura Lohmeyer Memorial Scholarship was formed in loving memory of Laura Autumn Lohmeyer. Laura attended Tumwater High School for just the first semester of her 9th grade year in 1997, prior to being diagnosed with a very rare cancer. Too ill to attend school, she maintained contact with her friends, teachers, and the choir during the following 18 months. She passed away in June 1999.
Laura was born on September 12, 1982 in Shelton, Washington. She attended the Mason County Christian School, Bush Middle School and began Tumwater High School as part of the class of 2001. She was active in choir in all her schools and was a piano student for eight years. She regularly sang solos and duets with her father in church, as well as professionally recording a CD of her music the spring before she died. Singing filled her heart with great joy and she sang everywhere she went.
Laura was also a gifted writer and began writing stories at a very early age. In the 6th grade, she completed her first full-length novel and wrote a total of four books in her life, along with numerous short stories and poems. She faithfully kept daily journals and corresponded regularly with several friends, including her two favorite authors. During her last couple months, Laura planned her own “Celebration of Life” service and a booklet given out which was filled with poetry, pictures, scriptures, and a letter that she left as a gift of love to all of us. Part of the letter is inscribed on her grave marker.
Laura loved school and always excelled, receiving perfect grades on her final report card. Her enthusiasm for learning and hunger for knowledge was clearly evident. She enjoyed making and nurturing friendships, often seeking out those she felt especially needed a friend. Laura was deeply compassionate and a natural leader, so she often found herself counseling others to try to help and comfort them. Laura fully trusted God with His plans for her life and her faith remained strong.
Laura would have been thrilled to know that this scholarship was formed to honor her. Her giving spirit during her life makes this a fitting tribute, for helping others was so important to her. To know that other students may be enabled to carry on their hopes of higher education, as Laura herself had planned to do, is a blessing for all who knew her.
- Applicant must be a graduating senior from Tumwater High School.
- Applicant must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Applicant will preferably possess both vocal music and writing talent. If no applicant has both talents, preference will be given to a student with vocal music talent.
- Applicant must demonstrate leadership, honesty, determination, strong will, and self-motivation.
- Applicant must be able to demonstrate his/her Christian faith.
- THS seniors who are not enrolled in a choir class are encouraged to apply but must supply supporting documentation of their musical ability.
- Applicants must complete a Tumwater Education Foundation Scholarship application, along with the following supplemental information.
- All applicants must answer the following questions:
- I possess musical talent (include supporting documentation).
- I possess writing talent (include supporting writing sample).
- Describe how you demonstrate leadership, honesty, determination, strong will, and self-motivation.
- Describe how you demonstrate your Christian faith.