Frank D. Minear Memorial Scholarship
Frank D. Minear attended public school in Seattle and earned a B.A. in Music Education from the University of Washington in 1971.
In 1972 he played as the high-note soloist with the Stan Kenton Big Band. He later played with other great artists. He also spent three years in business helping schools to raise monies for their school programs.
Frank was a four time National Bugle Solo Champion and Outstanding Jazz soloist at the Reno and North Texas State Jazz festivals. His music is recorded on 12 albums.
His true passion was instilling a love of music in public school students at Nathan Hale, Auburn, Monroe, Federal Way, and Centralia High Schools in Washington and Grants Pass High School in Oregon, including a decade at Tumwater and Black Hills High Schools.
Frank’s availability, warmth, patience, and humor he used to teach the students about music created exciting ensembles that earned more than 20 jazz and marching band awards.
His favorite quote, which he shared with everyone he met, was: “To be early is to be “on time”. To be “on time” is to be late, and to be late is unacceptable!!!”
- Applicants must be a graduating senior, currently in the music department, attending either Black Hills or Tumwater High School.
- Applicants must have demonstrated good character throughout their high school career.
- Applicants must demonstrate how they overcame adversity during their high school career.
- Applicants must plan to enter 2- or 4-year college, full time, immediately after high school.
- Applicants must complete a Tumwater Education Foundation Scholarship Application and answer the following supplemental questions.
- In 250 words or less, please answer each of the following:
- Describe your adversity and explain how you overcame it. Give credit to and acknowledge the people or programs that inspired you to change direction.
- Identify your talents and passions. Explain how your educational choices have helped to enhance your talents and/or passions. Explain how your career choice is in concert with your talents and/or passions.